Thursday, May 3, 2012

Gluten Free Baking Mix or It Could Be Worse, You Could Be Vegan



Elise,
Alison was visiting and I had just read about C4C (the Gluten Free baking mix from Thomas Keller’s kitchen that is rocking the GF world), and I’ve been eyeing the King Arthur Flour Gluten Free Baking Mix for a while.
It was all coming together. 

I made chocolate chip cookies.

I used the David Lebovitz Salted Butter Chocolate Chip Cookies recipe.  I tripled the recipe (it makes a very small batch). 

I had to distinguish the three different types.  In case I got confused, I didn’t want to mistakenly feed a flour cookie to Alison. So the C4C got chocolate chunks with walnuts, the KAF got chocolate chips with walnuts and the flour got coconut. 











I didn’t want to have to mix up three separate batches, so I made one big batch up through the vanilla. I then measured this and divided it in 3 parts with my truly awesome combination measuring cup scale. 


The dough was better from the C4C and the flour. (Can we just stipulate that the flour was good?) 
The KAF mix was gritty in dough form. Here is a point to ponder—the DL recipe wants you to let the dough rest in the refrigerator for 24 hours. I didn’t bother with this step. The grittiness in many gluten free mixes comes from the rice flour. Now I wonder if a 24 hour rest would help that, since the rice flour would have an opportunity to absorb some liquid and soften?


The results were mixed. Alison liked the KAF. Jamie liked the C4C. The boys just wanted more than one. I thought that when baked up, the three were pretty indistinguishable. 


I’ll stick with flour, but it is reassuring to know that my gluten free friends and family can have something other than those peanut butter cookies.

No comments: