Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Hample Pie



Elise,

Here I am with all these apples,
And this eternal ham is ample.
You might think this state me baffles,
But I will fill my pie with hample.

Oh hample pie, oh hample pie,
I say your name with croon and sigh.

The crust is brown and butter-dappled,
A pie of blithe and pure example.
Neither boudin blanc nor lowly scrapple
Can match the true empyrean of hample.

Oh hample pie, oh hample pie,
Your humble looks such yum belie.

This merry mix, this sublime couple,
On sanctity of marriage tramples,
With flavor so sublime and supple,
Blessed miscegenation—hample.

Oh hample pie, oh hample pie,
You can make a strong man cry.

A rapt silence, an awe substantial
Will start and spread when pie you sample.
That first taste is consequential,
The paradigm shifts when you add hample.

Oh hample pie, oh hample pie,
My appetite you sanctify.
Now let’s apply our hungry eye to hample pie.





Toss 3 cups diced apple with 1/4 cup each flour and sugar and 1/2 tsp cinnamon. Mix in 2 1/2 cups diced ham and 8 oz. grated sharp cheddar cheese. Mound into pie crust, top with second crust. Bake at 425 for 20 minutes then at 350 for an additional 35 minutes.

love, Margaret

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

thank you so much for this. they spoke of Hample on Vermont Public Radio today..
yours was the first recipe that popped up when googled. I love the poem. Sent to to my husband and said "please make this for me!"
jo