Sunday, January 1, 2012

We begin as we mean to go on

New Years Day

I am drawing the line at bringing a dark haired First Footer over the threshold before any others in the new year. I don't know about VA but here in the mountains it's just me and A and neither of us qualifies. I did manage not to take anything out of the house today but that's due more to laziness than superstition. And I smooched my sweetie at the turn of the hour - never mind that the hour was 10 PM. Midnight in Times Square, we told each other as we trundled off to bed.

However the superstition I am really attached to is the one about New Years foods. What you eat on New Years day sets the tone for the year to come. Noodles for longevity, rice and other grains for prosperity as they swell when cooked. A few years ago I made Hoppin' John. This year it's lentils.

Lentils are meant to bring good fortune in the new year, as they resemble coins. Given the state of the economy I choose green ones for a little extra assurance.

Sauté 2 strips of bacon, chopped. Pigs are good for the new year because while chickens scratch backwards and cows stand still, a pig roots forwards. Fatty meat is also symbolic of fattening wallets. I guess this means we'll be moving forwards this year.




When the bacon is about done add a carrot, peeled and sliced, 3 hefty cloves of garlic, and 2 shallots, chopped. Cook til the shallots are soft, add a cup of green lentils and 3 cups chicken broth. You can use homemade if you'd like.





Bring to a boil, lower to a simmer, and cook for 45 minutes. When the lentils are as soft as you'd like, add a few handfuls of spinach and cook til wilted. Salt and pepper to taste.




Cookies for desert. We begin as we mean to go on...






1 comment:

wyatteal said...

If we begin as we mean to go on, I can look forward to a year of patty melts and chocolate shakes. At least it was a real patty melt and chocolate shake. Frost Cafe in Culpeper. Mmmm!