Wednesday, September 5, 2012

You Won't Believe What I Did!

Hi Marg,

Brace yourself. I bought pre-made pie crust! and I used it! I know - shocking - given my long standing opposition to this sort of lazy-ass baking. I'm a little embarrassed about it, but obviously not too embarrassed. Although since no one but our mother ever reads this its not exactly broadcasting. Didi you get her email where she said I love Sisters Cook? Of course you do. You're our mother.

Anyway, it's almost like I feel the need to confess. And to be absolved of my sins. How many Hail Julias will it take?

So here's the deal. I really wanted a blueberry pie. I'd wanted one for days but sacrificed myself to make Chocolate Cream Pie for Mot bc it's her favorite. And I wanted to try the Corn and Tomato Pie again to see if I could work out some of the issues. But I didn't want to spend my whole day baking bc I am working on a new sweater design and need to do that while my brain is functioning. Complicated life I lead, I know. Then, out of the blue, in the freezer case at WF, I saw this -


 And this - 





I was all over it! Brought it home, thawed it out, read the instructions that said to remove wax paper before thawing, froze it, removed paper and thawed it again. It went into the pan smoothly, the filling was ready, the top crust went on easily, and it went into the oven.



And then???? It was PIE!


And you know what? It was good. It really was. The crust wasn't great, but homemade crust isn't always great either. And the filling was wonderful. And I got to have a blueberry pie which no way would have happened if I'd been dragging out the Cuisinart to make a crust. And that's worth a lot.

Love,

Elise

Lazy Ass Blueberry Pie


Buy a precooked pie crust and follow the directions. There, got that out of the way.

Preheat oven to 400.

Filling

2 and 1/2 pints blueberries
3/4 c sugar
3 T tapioca. I love pies thickened with tapioca but they do have to be totally cool before they set up.
2ish T lemon juice

Mix all together and let it sit for about 15 minutes to soften the tapioca up. It can sit while you thaw and otherwise fuss around with the crust.

Put the filling in the crust, dot with some butter, about 2 T or so, and then put the top crust on and seal the edges and crimp.

Lower oven to 350 and bake for about an hour.

Congratulate yourself.


No comments: