Thursday, August 26, 2010

Corn and Tomato Salad


Hi Marg,

This is an old favorite of mine and I made it last week. I cook the corn lightly, say about 4 or 5 minutes in the boiling water, and then cut it off the cob. Add cherry tomatoes, basil (chiffonaded of course), salt, pepper and dressing. I put some fresh zucchini slices in this one because we had such beautiful little ones in the garden.

I usually make the dressing by mashing up an anchovy or two with some lemon juice and salt. Then I whisk in olive oil, add a spoonful of plain yogurt and a pinch of sugar and fresh ground pepper. I learned about the sugar from Erin when we were in Switzerland. She copied a dressing that we had at a restaurant and put in a bit of sugar. I'd always scorned sugar in salad dressings but this was such a little bit that you didn't taste it at all. It just softened the acidity a tich.

Taste and correct and taste and correct until you are happy. It's important to taste it on the vegetables bc they influence the final outcome. Obviously.

I'm hungry and there is no corn and tomato salad here.

Love, E

No comments: