Friday, December 20, 2013

Jet Lag Dinner

Hi Marg,

I meant to post about this a month ago, literally. When we got home from Bhutan I went on a jet-lag-fueled-bonding-with-my-kitchen extravaganza. This dinner was the one of the results.



First, turkey meatballs with zucchini and the most delightful sauce made of yogurt, garlic, lemon juice and sumac. It's a spice made from sumac berries. I bought it for the cookbook Jerusalem and have used it quite a bit. The spice and the book both.

The meatballs have mint in them and green onions and italian parsley which I use instead of the cilantro called for. I don't like cilantro. According to Harold McGee and the NY Times I am not alone. Apparently Julia Child said that if she found it in her food at a restaurant she would take it out and throw it on the floor. I'm with her.



Regardless, the meatballs, or little patties really, are delicious and you can eat the entire recipe which is supposed to serve 4-6 with just two people easily. They are fresh and light and satisfying all at the same time. And the sauce is fabulous even if you get all healthy and leave out the sourcream. Unlike the meatballs, there will definitely be sauce left over which is good because you can dip carrots in it, or smear it on leftover roast chicken, or just eat it off your fingers.

Second, for desert I made a great polenta cake with almonds, I think. I honestly can't remember what recipe I used but the pictures look like it's polenta and almonds. Although the recipe could have called for pecans, or pine nuts for all I can remember. There was a 19 hour time change remember. I have a feeling it was from David Lebovitz' Ready for Dessert because honestly that book has to be part of any bonding-with-your-kitchen extravaganza.



 Now it's a month later and I've had a cold for 2 weeks and would give anything for a measure of the energy that fueled this meal. The halls are decked but the cupboards are not far from bare and there is nary a christmas cooky in sight. I wish we lived closer so I could ride on your baking coattails.

love, Elise

No comments: